“If you are stranded on a desert island, what three foods would you want with you”?
This is a hard question for me. The “practical nutritionist” area of my brain wants to think of three foods that could provide me with enough balance to nourish my body and help me withstand a potential lengthy and tumultuous time on said island. The “playful foodie” area of the brain just wants to name my all-time favorite foods: sushi, tacos, and PIZZA! Today, the playful foodie wins.
While I strongly protest against deprivation diets and encourage moderation to all foods/food groups….we all know, eating pizza everyday is not going to lead to a rocking beach body. With that being said, I think that you can still have your cake and eat it too….but, maybe that cake is not really a cake, it just looks like a cake, and it doesn’t taste like cake….but it’s still really freaking good.
This is my “pizza that’s not really pizza, but still really delicious and actually quite nutritious” recipe.
BBQ chicken Portobello pizzas
- 4-6 Portobello mushrooms (Likely 1-2 per person), washed and stems removed
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cooked and diced or shredded
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- 4-5 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 red onion, caramelized
- 1/8 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the Portobellos on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, gill side up
- In a bowl, mix the chicken, BBQ sauce, and red onion
- Fill the Portobellos with the chicken mixture
- Top pizzas with pineapple and goat cheese
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until mushrooms are soft
- Remove from oven and garnish with chopped cilantro
- Serve immediately