After living in the Pacific Northwest for 28 years, I like to identify the seasons by flavor. Spring offers the best asparagus for roasting, winter provides the juiciest apples for baking, and summer….well, let’s just say it is a sweet, sweet season. Berries, and melon, and stone fruit…OH MY!
Native to the PNW and a summer diet staple, Rainier cherries top my “FLAVORS OF SUMMER” list. For the brief time they are available I find ways to include them with everything I’m eating….yogurt, salads, dessert, summer salsas….
This recipe can serve as a side dish or an entrée, but will likely steal the show in either role. Take advantage of the rest of summer and enjoy this healthy and refreshing taste of the NW!
Grilled Salmon with Goat Cheese, Rainier Cherries, and Peaches
- 1/2 lb salmon King or Sockeye salmon
- 5-6 cups of mixed greens
- 3-4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup Rainier cherries, halved and pits removed
- 1 peach, sliced
- 4 Tbsp balsamic dressing
- Over medium-high heat, BBQ salmon until cooked through (about 10-15 minutes)
- Plate greens for 1-2 people
- Evenly distribute goat cheese, cherries, and peaches between salads
- Cut salmon into bite sized pieces (remove bones if found) and add to salad
- Drizzle with desired amount of salad dressing
- Serve immediately