I have three “go-to” drink orders: a Gin and Tonic, an Old Fashioned, or a Margarita. As much as I love the classically clean version of these cocktails, every once in a while it’s nice to mix up the flavors and layers of the drink. After trying a smoky Margarita at Seattle’s very own Ray’s Cafe, I knew I had to figure out how to make my own at home.
Spicy Smoked Margarita
- 1 ounce 100% agave tequila (I prefer Reposado)
- 1 ounce Mezcal (I prefer Del Maguey Vida)
- 3.4 ounce triple sec or Grand Marnier
- 3/4 ounce lime juice from a fresh lime
- 1/2 oz honey
- 1 jalapeño cut into 1/4″ slices
- smoked sea salt mixed with smoked paprika for the rim
- Add 1-2 jalapeño slices to a cocktail shaker. Muddle. Add ice to 1/2 way full. Add the lime juice and honey. Add the Mezcal, tequila, and triple sec. Shake well.
- To make the salt rim, rub the rim of the glass with the used lime and dip in plate of salt/paprika mix.
- Strain the contents of the cocktail shaker into your salt rimmed glass. Add 2-3 ice cubes and enjoy immediately.