For those of you who know me personally, you know I am a planner. I enjoy daily to-do lists, updating my calendar, and thinking five steps ahead for any situation. Since planning is my thing, Sunday meal prep is my game. As they say, “a Sunday well spent, brings a week of content!” It’s hard to beat the feeling of having healthy homemade meals ready to grab and go.
Lunch this week will be salads in a jar, similar to the theme from my last post. (Apparently it’s a “jar meal” kind of week).
Mediterranean Pesto Chicken Salad...in a Jar
- 1 package (or two bags) of romaine hearts
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 20 grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1.5-2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Trader Joe’s Pesto Chicken, cooked and diced (or you can cover 1 lb. chicken with 3-4 Tbsp pesto sauce and cook)
- 4-8 Tbsp Balsamic dressing (I prefer the Annie’s brand)
- Set out 4 wide-mouth quart-sized mason jars.
- In each jar add 1-2 tablespoons of dressing to bottom of jar
- Next add 1/2 cup chickpeas, 1/4 of the cucumbers, and 10 tomato halves into each jar
- In a small bowl, gently toss avocado in lemon juice (to prevent it from browning)
- Divide avocado, feta, and chicken between the jars
- Add lettuce until full
- Cover each jar with a top and save in fridge for up to 5 days
Hope you enjoy!
What are some of your favorite grab and go lunches?
Holy Moly! The last week has been utterly amazing! I was fortunate enough to spend the last 7 days with my wonderful boyfriend, enjoying the sunny beaches of Cabo San Lucas. We ate, drank, swam, explored, danced, socialized, relaxed, and total rejuvenated ourselves.
As much as I would love to be on vacation forever, it feels good to be back home and back in the kitchen! While it was lovely being able to have food at a moments notice at our all-inclusive resort, I definitely missed my homemade meals and having more healthy options. Now that we’re back, I’m ready to get back to cooking, meal prepping, and eating clean!
As I designed my meal plan for the week, I wanted to incorporate foods and recipes inspired by our trip. Ceviche, seared fish and salad, guacamole, tomatillo salsa, and spicy “pulled” chicken are all on the menu this week and I can’t wait for all the yummy, fresh, goodness.
While this recipe isn’t “Mexican” per se, it does incorporate fresh mango. While mangos are mostly found in India and Asia, most of those sold in the US come from our southern neighbors in Mexico. This clean and fresh recipe fuses whole grains, antioxidants, fiber, and healthy fats. Pair this with grilled flank steak or fish and you have a deliciously balanced and nutritious meal!
Quinoa salad with mint, cashews, mango and a curry vinaigrette
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/4 cup cashews, chopped
- 6 springs of mint, leaves removed and minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 and 1/4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Mix quinoa, mango, cashews, and mint in a bowl and gently toss with dressing.