For those of you who know me personally, you know I am a planner. I enjoy daily to-do lists, updating my calendar, and thinking five steps ahead for any situation. Since planning is my thing, Sunday meal prep is my game. As they say, “a Sunday well spent, brings a week of content!” It’s hard to beat the feeling of having healthy homemade meals ready to grab and go.
Lunch this week will be salads in a jar, similar to the theme from my last post. (Apparently it’s a “jar meal” kind of week).
Mediterranean Pesto Chicken Salad...in a Jar
- 1 package (or two bags) of romaine hearts
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 20 grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1.5-2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Trader Joe’s Pesto Chicken, cooked and diced (or you can cover 1 lb. chicken with 3-4 Tbsp pesto sauce and cook)
- 4-8 Tbsp Balsamic dressing (I prefer the Annie’s brand)
- Set out 4 wide-mouth quart-sized mason jars.
- In each jar add 1-2 tablespoons of dressing to bottom of jar
- Next add 1/2 cup chickpeas, 1/4 of the cucumbers, and 10 tomato halves into each jar
- In a small bowl, gently toss avocado in lemon juice (to prevent it from browning)
- Divide avocado, feta, and chicken between the jars
- Add lettuce until full
- Cover each jar with a top and save in fridge for up to 5 days
Hope you enjoy!
What are some of your favorite grab and go lunches?
Tonight I am planning to meet with some wonderful friends and watch the first episode of the long-awaited season 5 of Game of Thrones. This time last year, quite soon after I began dating my boyfriend, I was graciously welcomed in to this viewing group. I remember being so excited to meet these friends for the first time that I decided to make this Daenerys TARTgaryen for the event. (I am still so very proud of this creation).
In the weeks following, we would continue to meet up, catch up on life, bond over delicious GOT inspired food, and be mesmerized by George R. R. Martin’s storyline. This year we continue the tradition. New recipe ideas are already brewing! Get ready for some tasty treats in the weeks to come!
WINTER IS CUMIN (Roasted Chickpeas)
These chickpeas are a great snack (or appetizer) with high amounts of fiber and protein.
Crunchy, spicy, and satisfying!
While there are a number of different recipes for roasted chickpeas, I wanted to use something with cumin (obviously).
I opened a can of chickpeas, drained the liquid and rinsed the chickpeas in a colander under cold water for about 1 minute. I then tossed the chickpeas into a bowl with olive oil and spices, and then mixed well.
Spread the chickpeas on a foiled lined baking sheet and place in a 300 degree F pre-heated oven for 60 minutes. Make sure to stir the chickpeas around after about halfway through baking.
Once the timer has gone off remove the pan from the oven and let cool for about 5-10 minutes.
Let me know what you think! Happy Game of Thrones day!
As always, Happy Cooking!
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- 2 15oz cans of organic garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil
- Mix all ingredients together and spread on foil
- Bake for 30 minutes, stir gently, and then bake for another 20-30 minutes until hard and crunchy.