Summer wouldn’t be complete without BBQs and burgers. With leftover salmon in the fridge, I was inspired to make a burger that was a spin on classic flavors. I love foods that offer a balance between spicy, sweet, and savory. This burger does just that.
Hawaiian Jalapeño Salmon Burger with Sriracha Aioli
- 1 pound skin-less wild salmon fillet, chilled in the freeze for about an hour
- 1/4 cup scallions, diced
- 1-2 jalapeños, minced
- 2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp tabasco sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- pinch of coarse salt and black pepper
- 4 pineapple slices, 1/2 inch thick (core removed)
- 1 1/2 cups arugula
- Hamburger buns (I used Udi’s Gluten-free hamburger buns)
- 1/4 cup mayo or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp sriracha
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 fingered pinch of salt
- Whisk together the aioli ingredients. Cover and refrigerate to let the flavors meld.
- Heat BBQ to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or medium-high.
- Take the salmon out of the freezer and cut into 1/3 inch chunks.
- In a medium bowl, gently mix the salmon, scallions, jalapeño, yogurt, tabasco, egg, salt and pepper.
- Divide the salmon mixture into quarters and shape into burgers with a rubber spatula or your hands.
- Once the BBQ is hot, gently place the salmon patties and the pineapple slices on the grill. Cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side, or until an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook pineapple until warm and soft, about 3-5 minutes on each side.
- If desired, toast the hamburger buns on grill
- Spread aioli on bun. Add arugula, salmon patty, and grilled pineapple. Enjoy!
I love a recipe that is easy enough to make after a long day at work and makes for delicious leftovers! Throw in a protein and some delicious veggies, add various spices or sauces, wrap in lettuce, and….VIOLA!…..dinner is served. This is my healthy version of the P.F. Chang’s chicken lettuce wrap recipe. Save yourself some money (and calories) by making it yourself. Plus, you can throw in various veggies for extra crunch, nutrition, and flavor.
Spicy Lemongrass Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1 lemongrass stalk, thick skin removed, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup carrot shreds
- 2-3 green onions, diced
- 1 4-6 oz can of sliced water chestnuts
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil or cooking oil
- 3-4 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 4 Tbsp gluten-free hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar-free rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sriracha (or more if you like it extra spicy!)
- 1 head of Bibb/Boston lettuce, leaves separated and washed
- 4 Tbsp sliced almonds
- Place 1 Tbsp of the coconut oil or cooking oil in a pan over medium heat. Once warm, add the carrots, onions, water chestnuts, ginger, and garlic and sauté until soft but still crunchy.
- Remove vegetables from pan and place on a dish. Add the other Tbsp of cooking oil to the pan and add the ground chicken.
- Sauté the chicken until brown and cooked through, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the vegetables back to the pan with the chicken, and gently mix.
- Add the coconut aminos, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, and Sriracha to the pan and mix all ingredients together.
- Serve the chicken/veggie mixture in lettuce leaves. Garnish with sliced almonds.
Please leave any comments below!