I’m pretty sure that my spiralizer is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets of all time. I have made noodles from different fruits and vegetables: broccoli stems, zucchini, apples, and cucumbers to name a few. For this recipe I wanted to try something new; try to incorporate veggie noodles into a breakfast meal! Thus came the sweet potato veggie noodle hash browns! Add an egg and you have a great protein + carb mix!
Sweet Potato Noodle Egg Nests
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled with ends cut off.
- 4 eggs (2 per person)
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Attach the sweet potato to the spiralizer and begin spiralizing! For further instruction watch this YouTube video. Divide the noodles into four piles (should be about a small handful or <1 cup).
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the noodles to the skillet, making sure to keep them in four separate piles. Gently hollow out a circle in the middle of the pile for the egg to settle. Let the noodles cook for 3-5 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom and form holding.
- Gently flip the noodles over and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy (like hash browns).
- Crack eggs into middle of hollowed area of noodle and cook 2-3 minutes, or until desired consistency. If you don’t like a runny yolk, you may want to flip the “egg nest” over to allow the yolk to cook.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
I could have called this my kitchen counter frittata…but that doesn’t sound very delicious. Truly, that’s what this was. The beauty of a frittata is that there are no rules! You’re free to put whatever your heart (or stomach) desires into that skillet. Obviously eggs are a must but, other than that you are free! This combination was inspired by the items on my counter (and a few in my fridge). And since I made this on a Sunday, I had leftovers for breakfast all week! How fantastically easy! I might also recommend making a “muffin tin” version of this recipe….hand held goodness right there 🙂
Frittata with Spinach, Goat Cheese, Sweet Potato, and Caramelized Onions
- 1 cup of fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 4 oz of goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 of a large sweet potato, skin removed and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 8 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium to large oven proof skillet, heat coconut oil. Add onion and sauté. Once translucent, add sweet potato and continue to sauté. Let cook until onions are a caramelized texture and potatoes are soft.
- Remove the onions and potatoes from the pan.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with a fork until all yolks are broken and mixture is somewhat consistent. About 30-60 seconds.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet, add goat cheese, sweet potatoes, onions, and spinach (spread evenly). Cook for 1 minute on stove over medium heat.
- Gently place skillet into oven and frittata cook for about 10-15 minutes. Once done, the eggs should be set but not browned.
- Serve from the skillet or slide on to a plate. Cut into 6-8 slices and enjoy!